Sunday, February 23, 2014

THE DAY MY HUSBAND MET MY BOYFRIEND trestle table

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
 
 
Once upon a time, in a land far far away from my current life
I managed a large warehouse where we housed a lot of retail fixtures.
Jason would stop by every few days to pick something up or coordinate on a job.
He worked in the same industry but for another company that we worked in concert with.

 
While dating George, Jasons name would come up frequently,
after all he was a colleague I saw all the time, even spent countless time on the phone with.
For some strange reason George never got to meet Jason, he became a phantom idea.
There were many times one of them would show up and the other had just left.
It really became amusing for all of us.
 
 
My relationship with Jason continued after I moved into field work.
Jason was on many sites that I worked, but again George never got to meet him.

One day last spring George was perusing ads and came across an offer of free lumber,
and it was just down the road.
George loves to surprise me with goodies so he set up to see the lumber with the owners wife
and she made all the arrangements for George to meet up with her husband Sunday morning.
So when Sunday morning came he whisked me off in the van with promises of wonder and delightment.

 
Have you figured it out?
The man giving away the wood turned out to be none other than Jason.
I just stood there dumb struck, then we laughed about it.
 
Needless to say this is how I came across the beautiful 2" thick cedar I got to use on this
reclaimed Trestle Table I built.
 
 
 
The standard height of a dining table is between 28" and 30"
so I jack him up a bit with some bun feet to meet these requirements.
 

 
While the glue set up on the feet I painted him with ASCP and distressed with a wet sponge.
 
 
I had to get back to working on the surface, all the boards needed to be cleaned and smoothed.
The end grain had to be closed so out came the angle grinder with 36 grit disc.
 
 
Plz understand I have used a grinder with my driftwood furniture for more than 15 years,
this is not a tool you just pick up and try with out the guidance of a trusted professional.

 
I didnt quite have all the right sized boards to get the table finished so I shouted out in
a past post if anyone had some 2" lumber. Elinor of The Passionate Home invited me over to
see if she could contribute. The bright orange center board is from her lumber stash.
 So the next step was to age her orange piece to match the weathered look the other boards had.
 
 
To achieve this look ...
I used a wash of black and brown paint on hers then white washed all the boards. 
 
 
Next I strapped them all together. Above is the underside of the surface.
The strapping lines up perfectly to the table base.

 
I was able to date the original table to 1 of 2 furniture companies in Vancouver
between 1912 and 1939, so he has been around.
The original top has some water damage
but you know I will find a fabulous use for it in the future.
There are already some ideas running around in my head.

 
The final steps were to lay 2 coats of Wipe On Poly followed by 2 coats of Furniture wax to the new top.
Both product I used are from MINWAX.





 
This is one I would keep for sure if I had the space!!!
 
 
 
Check out some of the new listings over at Firstfinds Etsy Shop
 

 


TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment