Monday, February 10, 2014

Screwdriver Rack or Tie Rack

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Ive been working away for the last two weeks on one door section of my tool cabinet. In this section is a rack for my set of very ugly screwdrivers.

The idea behind this rack is to store a complete set of 11 screwdrivers in as small an area as possible. The design I came up with uses just two pieces of walnut 13 1/2" wide, 1 1/2" deep and 1/2" in thickness. One of these pieces holds 6 screwdrivers and the other holds 5. The mounts are based on using the collar at the bottom of the plastic handles to lock each in place. As a result of this, I have to remove a lot of material from each piece.

I drilled and cut away as much material as I dared to yesterday and before I went any further I thought it wise to reinforce the narrow cross grain bits with a bit of dowel. On top of that, I brought the pieces inside the night before to do the layout and as a result of being stored in a warmer, drier place, one of the pieces decided to open a check in the grain. The check isnt all the way through but Im sure it wont be long before it is.

I laid out where further cuts were required and in the center of the wood that will remain I drilled a 1/8" hole right through the depth of the stock. I forced glue into each hole and as I slid a 1/8 birch dowel through each piece I turned them to keep the glue spread even. I picked up these dowels from Lee Valley and I will warn you, they are not all consistent in diameter. I found about 20% to be oversized.

The results before trimming looks pretty strange.



Peace,

Mitchell

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment