Monday, February 10, 2014

Fabric for the Guest Room and Tips for Ordering Fabric Online

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
The fabric arrived yesterday so I can get started on the guest room!

fabric 1. 2. 3. 4.
We are building a headboard and the 54" fabric width is tricky with the way I want the pattern to run (solid fabrics are more diy friendly!) I think I have found a solution without it looking pieced together ...

Whenever I open fabrics that Ive ordered online I hold my breath - hoping that they look like the photo ... luckily all of these did!

but that hasnt always been the case - I fell in love with a richloom print, waited for it to get off of back order and when it arrived it didnt look quite like the photo :(

via







The photo from the website (top photo) looks vibrant with rich colors while the photo that I took looks washed out - still pretty, but not what I wanted - so I thought I would share some tips on what have helped me order online ...

1. Google the fabric and check out images of scale and color: many fabrics have photos of pillows, chairs, etc. that have been taken in a variety of lighting - a great way to get a feel for what the fabric will look like

2. For photos that include a ruler: make sure to check the scale - sometimes photos can be deceiving - the pattern can look larger or smaller than it actually is

3. Take note of the material: Becoming familiar with fabric types gives you a better idea of the weight and texture of the fabric. i.e. duck cotton will have a tight stiffer weave and medium weight  - while a cotton sateen will be a finer weave, lighter weight, and smoother touch


Finally when possible, I would recommend ordering from fabric.com - they offer free shipping for orders over $35, great prices, and FREE RETURN shipping!



Stay tuned to see my solution for 54" fabric for a wider headboard (fingers crossed it works!)











TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment