Monday, February 10, 2014

BUY or DIY Duvets

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Welcome to another edition of BUY or DIY? Where I look at the cost, time invested, and likely hood of pulling your hair out on DIY projects, after all, sometimes it is better to buy! 

This week Im looking at duvet covers. They can be super pricey, and its really not much more than two sheets sewn together (sometimes)

First up, a duvet with ruching. I love them because they add a little texture, but dont look too busy! 

BUY: 

Cirrus duvet from Anthropologie (I cant find it on the website but I think it was around $250) 



Hadley ruched duvet cover from Pottery Barn, $179, king 



Smocked duvet cover, Target $89.99, king




DIY:

Made by Lex has a great tutorial using sheets from Target. $45 dollars for a king.



FABULOUS end result, but a little time consuming! 

I would say BUY (from Target)!  Im thinking that I would rather spend a little more money to avoid pulling my hair out. I dont do well with lots of fabric around the sewing machine ... I end up sewing things together that dont belong and get very frustrated! Know your strengths, right? :)

And secondly, a plain (no ruffles or gathering) duvet out of fabric or sheets. 

BUY:




Allegra Hicks Embroidered duvet, West Elm, currently on sale, $89.99, King


Coral Chambray duvet, Target, $75.99, King

Or DIY, a tutorial via Design Sponge using fabric here or a tutorial using flat sheets here, both are super easy to follow, and materials are pretty cheap, just two flat sheets or yardage for size needed. My only issue with using fabric is that it will need to have seams down the front (since it isnt wide enough). You could line up the pattern (if it is larger), but I think I would prefer not to have seams.  Just a personal preference :) 

I say DIY, waiting until you find the perfect flat sheets to make it out of! That way you can save at least 50%, and total time spent would be a few hours. Of course, Target and West Elm (to name a few) have good sales at the end of the season, so it could definitely be worth it to grab one then!  

Ive been thinking about doing this for a while ... so this officially made it onto my DIY list! 

--

Finally, today is the last day to vote for your favorite project in round1 of Creating with the Stars, Upcycle! I had a lot of fun with this! Taking something that is less than desirable and turning it into something that you love is definitely a favorite of mine! So I hope that you love my project too! 



Voting ends tonight at 10 pm EST, and tomorrow Ill let you know which project is mine! Click here to vote (at the bottom of the post, and scroll through the box) 


TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment