Monday, February 24, 2014

Stickley End Table

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
I found this darling (well, it is now!) side table from some guy that was clearing out
his mothers house. It was trashed. Didn't find out until I got it home and did
some research that it was a Stickley piece. 
Fifteen dollah make you holla!! LOL
           I had already started when I remembered I hadn't snapped a before photo! 
Solid mahogany with this cool design inlay. As you can see, it was quite damaged. These pieces can actually be worth quite a bit in a pristine state. However, pristine was 3 decades ago with this piece. It was too far gone. But I did save the solid wood top. It finished up beautifully.

I'm still soaking the hardware. I'm doing the patina soak. Cider vinegar and sea salt.
Hoping to get some of the verdigris look. 

So first off, since this is mahogany and we know how this bleeds, I painted it with a wood sealer. You must start using this! Plus, it protects the wood. So, if in the future anyone wants to take off the paint and attempt to restore the wood, they can. With this stuff, you don't have to sand the crap out of the wood and damage any intricate areas (like the legs) in order to get the paint off. It's quick, easy and dries fast. Sometimes you can use a white primer but sometimes you don't want the white primer to show when you are distressing. 
Use the seal coat. 

Read more »

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment