Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Have Smart Table Will Travel

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download

I store my stock of wood in my "barn" which is about 40 feet from the shop.  It is a pain for me to carry full sheets of ply to the shop to be broken down, so I often break them down at the barn.  Today I needed to do just that, but didnt really want to drag out the saw horses and fasten the Smart Table to them. 

Smart Table on saw horses.

I was standing there thinking that I needed to order a set of table legs when I realized that there was a platform right there in front of me, my utility golf cart. 
Utility cart bed.

This cart has been a life saver over the last year by letting me haul dirt, down limbs, fire wood, mulch, wood chips, air compressor, and even heavy tool buckets to wherever I needed them.

I measured the inside width of the bed lip and found that it was indeed not as wide as the Smart Table was long.  So I cut a 2x4 to the width of the bed lip and fastened it to the bottom of the table top with the same spacing on either end.
2x strips added to the bottom, even spaces on the ends and inset from the sides so that it can still be set on the saw horses.
Sitting on saw horses.
I could then just plop the table on to the top of the bed and I was ready to go.

The ends of the 2xs fit inside the bed lip.

The bungee keeps the support arms from sliding out while carrying the table by the handle (center of the close side).

I could then just extend the support arms, load the ply on to the table, and start cutting with the RipSizer.
Part way through the first rip.
When I broke for lunch, I was even able to leave the ply in place and pull the whole shebang in out of the sun.



TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment