Friday, January 24, 2014

Box Making 101 Part I

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Heres how I make simple but decorative boxes - I am making two that will be Christmas gifts this year.
I am using a piece of cherry, and have prestained it to make the whole process a little easier. Ive run it through the router on both sides to make a 1/4" dado joint that will receive the top and bottom panels.
Ive made two blocks, one short and one long. These marking blocks represent the sides and front and back lengths of the box, and make it easy to not have to measure for my lengths.
I cut all the sides in a continuous series out of the wood, so that the grain pattern will follow around - matching up the grain on the corners looks pretty cool!
Then, I located and cut biscuit slots with the biscuit jointer. Ive glued the corners and inserted the top and bottom panels, and secured the box with a strap clamp, making sure it is square.
After this dries, I will cut the lid off on the table saw, and secure the top to the lid...







TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment